relee_finalconcepts_booklet7Before the Parish House was built in 1959, the all-week life of the church flourished in the undercroft. In the decades since then, and especially after Yellow Brick Road early childhood center moved out in 2007, it has been a lonely and bare place in decline. Only the Sacristy under the chancel has been regularly used.

The plans by Charlotteville’s BRW Architects would bring new life, light and beauty to this space.

The design primarily addresses the needs of our music ministry. In the heart of it, with plenty of natural light from the generous campus-facing windows, would be a large choir rehearsal space. Around that is office space, robing and instrument storage, smaller rehearsal spaces and the music library. There are also places for parish committee meetings, community meetings and other activities by the outside groups that rely on us currently.

New ADA restroom facilities are planned for space adjacent to the Sacristy, which would gain a washer and drier, improved counter space and a dumbwaiter for convenient transport to the Sanctuary above.

The plans call for new finishes, lighting, flooring and furnishings. Details might change subject to review by the state to qualify for historic preservation tax credits. The proposed renovation would cost an estimated $600,000.

This is one of the four major projects that donors to the Capital Campaign may specify for their pledge. Another option is simply making an unrestricted pledge, in which case the money will be used first to pay for work already underway or completed in the Parish Hall, for a new elevator and the college ministry room. Renovation of the undercroft will remain on the drawing board pending additional success of the campaign. relee_finalconcepts_booklet3

Advertisements